Roasted Butternut squash and red onion with red quinoa, arugula and spinach, pistachios and cranberries. Mom says a roasted onion is the best tasting thing ever. I AGREE, Happy Christmas everyone!
p.s. recipe here (mom found it via Pinterest and she says it's one of those recipes you just can't go wrong wtih)
Credit: Gimmie Some Oven
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, with peel still on
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or water
- zest of one orange
- 2 cups roughly-chopped fresh spinach
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss butternut squash, onion, and garlic cloves (with peel still on) until they are evenly coated with oil. Spread then out in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, or until soft and cooked and the edges begin to slightly brown. Remove and set aside. Discard the garlic peels.
- Meanwhile, stir together quinoa, broth (or water), and orange zest, and cook according to package instructions.
- Add the cooked veggies, quinoa, spinach, cranberries and pistachios to a large mixing bowl, and gently toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper if need be.
- Serve warm.