Something about this time of year... things always get crazy busy and I find myself thinking back to the basics especially when it comes to food. So for this Friday I am quoting directly from Michael Pollan's book FOOD RULES, An Eaters Manual. If you don't yet have the book, add it to your list of must have's. Its simplicity will remind you that food and eating does not have to be complicated.
A few of my fave "rules" from the book:
1. #51 Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.
Does it ever feel like as soon as you sit down to eat you've already scarfed it all down? Yeap, me too.
2. #36 Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk.
Oh my beloved childhood fave of Coco Krispies would be so sad to read that one.
3. #47 Eat when you are hungry NOT when you are bored.
Hmm let me say that one again for good measure, eat when hungry not bored. Ok got it. Remind me to remind me again later when I am bored.
4. #39 Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.
This one gets me every time. ICE CREAM- enough said.
5. #3 Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry.
Honey would you please pass me the Xanthan Gum?
6. #10 Avoid foods that are pretending to be something they are not.
Sorry Fabio. I can't believe it's not butter is out.
7. #11 Avoid foods you see advertised on television.
What's the first thing that pops into your head? I always think of hot pockets and pizza chains.
8. #13 Eat only foods that will eventually rot.
All the preservatives we are eating is keeping us from decomposing when we die. Yeap, scary.
9. #57 Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does.
There's almost nothing good to be found for your bod in a convenience store. We could argue on water and maybe mixed nuts but read the packages... if there are more ingredients in your nuts than nuts skip them.
10. #24 Eating what stands on one leg (mushrooms and plant food) is better than eating what stands on two legs (fowl), which is better than eating what stands on four legs (cows, pigs, and other mammals).
Have a wonderful weekend friends!
How's this time of year feeling for you? Excited about the holidays or are ya just taking it one day at a time?
All my best!