Ever wonder why instant oatmeal tastes better than the regular stuff? I was JUST having this conversation last week with one of my coaching clients. It's actually not your fault! Most processed foods are created with two goals in mind, 1. make it cheap so profits are high and 2. create the maximum shelf life. To do that foods are not really foods anymore but food like substances. These food like substances pumped full of salt compounds and synthetic sugars are then dressed up to look like real foods. So what you think is instant oatmeal with maple and brown sugar is really just one big science experiment that leads to cravings. So called 'natural' flavors and coloring ruin your taste buds ability to experience the flavors real food. We eat 3 (OR MORE) times sugar and 2 times more sodium daily than is recommended. Our plates are full of sugar and salt and that leaves us craving more of both which leads to weight gain and a myriad of other health problems.
The good news is that once you start eating real foods and eliminating processed foods from your diet the opposite will be true... things that used to taste amazing will taste like fake food. You'll be able to pick out the 'natural' flavors of processed foods from a mile away and you'll prefer the real foods!
Eliminating processed foods and excess of sugar/ salt leave you feeling great and allow your body to shed any extra pounds you've been carrying.
Here are 5 tips to transform your taste buds and with it your waist line!
1. read labels. avoid high-salt compounds like:
-monosodium glutamate (MSG).
-anything with nitrates or nitrites
basically if it sounds like a big science project it is and you don't want to eat it.
2. Use honey for sweetner instead of anything that comes in one of those little colored packets and Himalayan sea salt (the pretty pink salt) instead of table salt.
3. Spice up your life! Experimenting with herbs and spices will help your taste buds to adjust to what real foods taste like again. Cayenne pepper, cumin and garlic are my favorites at the moment.
4. Salt and sugar hide in everything! Cut down on condiments, anything processed and frozen foods.
5. If you currently drink soda or put sugar in your coffee begin by cutting back... instead of two sodas a day cut back to one. Instead of two scoops of sugar try one and then transition to honey.
Remember that it doesn't have to be all or nothing... you can start to make slow and steady changes to a happy, healthy you! The less processed food and artificial sweeteners that go into your body the more you'll be able to taste and enjoy real foods!
Sign up for group health coaching beginning May 15th to change your relationship with food and what foods are most supportive for your body!