Meet my very favorite low-tech kitchen tool the Julienne Peeler! I was a hard core texture eater as a kid and actually I am just NOW getting used to the way blueberries pop in your mouth. Couldn't take it before. I LOVE how this peeler makes everything into teensy tiny ribbons! Texture magic. Use it for cucumber, zucchini and squash, potatoes carrots, etc.
Get one here (less than $10, so awesome) or dig yours out of the back of your kitchen utensil drawer you're going to need it for this yummy summer slaw!
Cucumber + Jicama Slaw
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Serves 2 - 4 (if small portions)
- 1 cucumber (peel if not organic), julienne avoiding the center (save the center to juice later)
- 1 small jicama, peel and then julienne or cut into thin matchsticks
- 4-5 large basil leaves, chiffonade (stack leaves, roll em up like a cigar and then cut. It will make beautiful long ribbons)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt or salt to taste
- Toss in a bowl and serve!
Enjoy it's totally refreshing and a bit unexpected. Would be really good as a side on family taco night!