This morning was one of those days where I woke up wanting something sweet but not necessarily "off reservation." Enter cashew cream! IT TOTALLY HIT THE SPOT without feeling like too much. We topped oatmeal with it but you could put it on anything...pancakes, cookies, short cake, etc etc etc. It tastes completely decadent and worthy of the dessert category. I don't have a proper zester so I just used a peeler. It worked perfectly and it all gets blended up anyway so the zest didn't need to be super fine. I keep a jar of pitted dates in the fridge soaking. We use them for sweetening things like this and almond milk.
Get ready for your taste buds to dance with sweet orange delight!
SWEET ORANGE CASHEW CREAM
*dairy free *gluten free *vegan
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, preferably soaked
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 dates, soaked
- 1/4 cup water from dates
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-2 pinches of sea salt (or more to taste not to exceed 1 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (not packed)
- juice from 1 standard size wedge of orange
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- Put all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth and creamy
- You may choose to start with the cashews and water blend well and then add all other ingredients and blend again!