This morning I organized my spices. True story. I love to organize pretty much anything and I often rearrange the kitchen, clean out the cabinets and refill my spice jars. It's one of those practices that keeps my energy in the kitchen. It's like the James Redfield quote,
“Where Attention goes Energy flows; Where Intention goes Energy flows!”
Smelling spices inspires me to create with them! Some days it's as simple as a sprinkle of cinnamon on my carrot, apple, ginger juice and other days it's an elaborate spice mix that will go into a stir fry or get sprinkled on top of popcorn.
Ever wonder if your spices are fresh? Have you had them in the cabinet for so long the bottles are starting to look vintage? Here are 5 super simple tips to keep your spice cabinet fresh and hopefully inspire you to use them!
1. Whiff test! If the spice smells strong, use it. If weak/ no smell, toss it!
2. The bulk bins are your friends! Buy spices in small quantities (unless you use them a lot).
3. Spices love the dark! Store in a drawer or cabinet. Keep away from moisture, air + heat. Store away from teh dishwasher, stove + sink.
4. Keep ground spices no more than 2 years. Whole spices no more than 3-4.
5. Paprika, ground + crushed chili peppers stay fresher longer in the fridge.
To staying inspired, Lacy