Today is my Mema's birthday and of course you should know because if you knew her you'd want to call her and sing to her too.
You see she's quite frankly one of the most amazing women I've ever known and she will safely hold the title of one of my heroes for my lifetime. I often talk about writing down all the things she teaches me so today I thought I'd give it a start in honor of her very special birthday.
20 things I've learned from my Mema:
1. Love is family. Family is love.
2. Fortune cookies are best by the dozen.
3. Good shoes. One must have good comfy shoes.
4. Pat don't rub. That goes for your face and stains alike.
5. Save. Save for a rainy day. It will rain.
6. Seashells and sandcastles are to be much loved.
7. You can do almost anything with vinegar and baking soda.
8. Veggies are best when chopped up in thin little sticks (they actually get eaten that way).
9. Bins. When organizing one always needs bins!
10. A bargain is something to be proud of. **I must tell you that Mema lost a contest when she was a teenager b/c when asked if she would buy the beans that were on sale even if they were not on the shopping list she said YES she would. She stands by her answer to this day and I am certain those beans on sale saved the day more than once.
11. Water and patience can grow almost anything.
12. Buy one really nice piece of furniture for each room in your home and grow around it.
13. Cards signed XOXO mean more than you could ever imagine.
14. The best gift is time spent together.
15. Flowers can be princess crowns when strung together just right.
16. When you have nothing else you always have your sister.
17. One always needs postage stamps.
18. A woman can do anything she sets her mind to. Anything.
19. Your intuition is one of the most powerful tools you have. Listen to it. Use it.
20. Always celebrate birthdays! Birthdays are very special!
Happy Birthday Mema! I love you oh so very much! I celebrate you today and always. I am so grateful that you are my Mema. Thank you for all you've taught me and continue to teach me.